Jackson County Historical Society
 
Photo Clippings
Return to Category List
Listings Per Page: 
Page:   of  3Next Page


File Listings: 1 to 50 of 117
Directions on how to use the index: Open the index and browse last names or use the "find" feature (control F) and type in the last name to quickly locate it. Names were transcribed from the newspaper clippings as read so there may be errors. Happy hunting!!!
This clipping is used by permission of Jackson County Newspapers. Caption reads, " Jackson County Draftees Who Left For Training Camps Friday, August 9, 1918."
Beech Flat School was located in Gay.
Clipping used with permission and published 3-20-1991. Contributor Herbert C. Godbey states that the Gay Grade School was built the summer of 1925 and the Beech Flat School was built the summer of 1925 and the Beech Flat School and the Forked Run School students were combined into that school. The Beech Flat School was torn down but the Forked Run School was converted into a residence.
Picture taken at the Beymer-Wilson reunion held on the lawn of Lockhart Methodist Church.
Briscoe School was located in a church built in 1876.
Calispell School was located near Capeheart.
Clipping used with permission
Clipping used with permission.
The date the picture was taken is believed to be 1913.
Clipping used with permission.
Clipping used with permission
Clipping published 08-09-1974 and used with permission.
Clipping used with permission.
Clipping used with permission
Drift Run Grade School was located three miles north of Sandyville.
Clipping used with permission and published 10-22-1986.
Clipping published 11-22-2007 and used with permission.
Dudeon school was a large one-room school.
This clipping is used be permission of Jackson County newspapers. The photo features the old railroad depot [top] in Sandyville and the public school, lower left photo. Also in the top photo in the background is a portion of the M. E. Church, South, pictured lower right. The year is unknown.
Clipping used with permission and published 1972. Photo features the Edgar Post Office that was located on Jim Ridge, near the head waters of Pleasant Valley.
Clipping published 5-24-1974 and used with permission.
Evans school students believed to have been taken in 1933.
Reported to be the first 4-H Camp for boys and girls in the state of West Virginia was held in Evans.
The clipping is used with permission and was published 8-24-1973. Photo festures Dr. T. I. C. Parsons car.
Clipping used with permission.
Clipping used with permission.
Clipping published 12-8-1982 and used with permission.
Clipping used with permission.
Pictured is the home of Forrest and Amy Hartley's home on Board Run, Route 33 East of Ripley. The home burned in the 1950's.
Clipping published on 07-20-1994. Year and names of students were not known.
Students from Frozen Camp School in 1908.
Clipping contains the photo of the school in 1911 as well as an article about the history of Frozen Camp School written by a local resident.
The school was located at the mouth of Big Run where it joins Mill Creek.
Picture was published previously and Mrs. Pearl Tuttle contacted the newspaper with the names of the people in the photo. Clipping used with permission.
Ft. Flower School was located on Foster Chapel Ridge.
Clipping published 8-7-1970 and used with permission. Garnes School was located in Kenna.
Clipping used with permission.
Students attending during the year 1925-26. Clipping published 8-9-1989
Clipping published 11-01-1989 and used with permission. Features a photograph of the entire Gay School, first grade through eighth, school year 1925-26.
The summer school was held at Goshen Valley.
Clipping used with permission and published May 1977.
Used with permission
This clipping, used with permission by Jackson County Newspapers, was published 10-22-1976. The description reads: ON ELK FORK: Harvest Days on Elk Fork are pictured here on the Clark Harpold farm. The year was 1910.
This model T Ford was filled to capacity and then some back in the early 1900's. Roads were evidently of the mud variety... Originally published 09-19-1979.
This clipping is used with permission of Jackson County Newspapers. The description reads: IT WAS JANUARY 20, 1944, forty years ago that this group of draftees assembled on the Ripley High School steps for their official picture before leaving for induction into the U.S. Army.
This clipping, used with permission by Jackson County Newspapers, was originally published 12-10-1976. Caption reads, "Grant and Ravenswood District Boys Who Left For Camp Meade, MD., Monday July 22, 1918."
Kermit School was located on Rt. 34 at the intersection of Dog Fork Road.
It was the early 1920s when the photograph of students at Lick Run School was taken. Lick Run School was located on Patterson Road, Millwood
Clipping used with permission.